Sesame Chicken 3
- 2 T Flour (Plain)
- 20 g corn starch (2T)
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t baking powder
- 2 T dark soy sauce
- 1 T sake (rice wine)
- 2 T water
- 300 g chicken breast (boneless skinless, cubed)
- 1 c chicken broth
- 1/2 T Sugar (Granulated)
- 1 T brown rice vinegar
- 1 T dark soy sauce
- 1/2 T sesame oil
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 t minced garlic
- 20 g corn starch (2T)
- water (as needed)
- Stir Fry:
- vegetables (for stir-frying, optional)
- 1 t rapeseed oil (for stir-frying)
- Chinese Five Spice (to taste)
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- The Rest:
- rapeseed oil (for deep frying)
- 1 t thinly sliced toasted sesame seeds (to garnish)
- cooked rice (to serve)
1. Sift flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl. Pour in soy sauce, sake, and broth; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken until coated with the batter, then cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Dissolve cornstarch into water, and stir into boiling sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and turns clear, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and keep sauce warm.
3. Heat rapeseed oil for deep frying in a pot to a temperature of 260F. Line a plate with paper towels for draining the chicken.
4. Toast sesame seeds in a frying pan or in the oven.
5. Drop in the battered chicken pieces, a few at a time, and fry until they turn golden brown and float to the top of the oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
5. Stir-fry vegetables (such as broccoli, carrot, peppers, bean sprouts, etc) with Chinese Five Spice and red pepper flakes to taste.
6. Plate it: Place cooked rice and fried chicken pieces onto a serving platter, with stir-fried vegetables if using, and pour the hot sauce over top. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds to garnish.
From source: "This recipe does not yield chicken with a very thick breading, and we like it that way. I often will stir fry some broccoli, onions, and carrots in a little oil with some minced garlic, a dash of salt, and a dash of red pepper flakes before adding all the oil to deep fry the chicken. I cook the veggies to crisp-tender, and then remove them until later. I add them to the bowl of cooked chicken and toss before pouring on the sauce."
- This version (Sat, 14 Dec 2019 21:35)
- Sesame Chicken 3 (Tue, 05 Feb 2013 13:46)