30 min prep + 1 hr cook
1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 t canola oil
- 145 g diced onion
- 105 g diced carrot
- 95 g diced celery
- Then add and simmer Lot 2:
- 400 g chopped tomato (1 can)
- 50 g green beans
- 1 c cooked beans
- 70 g chopped white cabbage
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 t freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 t garlic powder
- 3/4 t basil
- 3/4 t oregano
- 1.5 beef bouillon cubes (low sodium)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (low sodium)
- 800 mL water (or stock, plus more as needed)
- 105 g tomato paste
- 70 g barley
- After simmering:
- water (or broth, as needed)
- 60 g frozen peas
- 50 g small pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- 20 g bacon bits (per serving, for garnish)
- In large soup pot (5L) over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add Lot 2: tomatoes, green beans, kidney beans, cabbage, herbs and spices, bouillon, water, tomato puree and barley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in peas and pasta. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle generously with grated Parmesan cheese.
SJ Note: This is delicious, and rather filling - we have it quite frequently. With jacket potatoes, it makes a meal! Be sure to use the large stock pot.