- 3 egg yolks
- 2.5 oz Sugar (Granulated)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 c whole milk
1. Add milk to stainless steel pot (aluminum and copper are bad for dairy. Non-stick will also work in this situation).
2. Scrape vanilla bean, removing seeds.
3. Add seeds and bean to milk.
5. Whisk sugar into egg yolks.
6. Slowly temper milk into yolks, stirring (this prevents the eggs from cooking).
7. Add the mixture back into pot.
8. Using wood spoon, heat and stir mixture until it coats the back of the spoon. Something similar to the consistency of heavy whipping cream.
9. Strain into clean bowl, chill over ice. Don’t skip this step. If you want to hurry up the chilling process, move the crème anglaise into the fridge.