West African Soup
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cloves minced garlic
- 7 oz canned crushed tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 c chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/8 t ground chili powder
- 2 T rice (uncooked)
- sour cream (optional)
- sliced green onion (optional)
Heat butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Cook onions and bell peppers until they become tender and start to color. Stir in garlic, being careful not to burn it. Stir in tomatoes, vegetable stock, pepper, chili powder, and uncooked rice. Bring to a boil briefly and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally. Serve with sour cream and peanuts. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
SJ Note: The original form I found this in includes peanut butter, but I've omitted it from this copy. I may try adding beans.