- 150 g ziti (or other small pasta)
- 75 g ground sausage (removed from casing, if any)
- 150 g ground beef
- 3/4 c chopped onion (120g)
- 1 c chopped green bell pepper (150g)
- 4 chopped mushrooms (80g unpeeled weight)
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t ground rosemary
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 t dried basil
- 2 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t salt - table
- 1/2 t dried mushroom (powdered)
- 1/2 t soy sauce (dark)
- 1/2 t dried ancho chile powder (optional)
- 115 g shredded cheese (1 cup)
- 670 g spaghetti sauce (meatless; 24oz; 650mL/22 fl oz)
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; cook pasta to al dente.
3. While that goes: Combine the meat, and season to taste. In a skillet, drizzle a bit of olive oil. Brown the meat; add all remaining ingredients except cheese and sauce. Cook until onions are translucent.
4. Drain cooked pasta and place in a 2 quart casserole dish. Layer: half the cheese; sauce; veggies and meat; rest of the cheese.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
SJ Note 31 Jan 2014: Good! We've struggled with this recipe, but finally hit on a winning combination, so I've deleted all my confusing notes from before and shall leave this as it is now. For the sauce, use this (not the whole amount!). For the powdered dried mushrooms, get some dried mushrooms, and then whizz them in a food processor until they become a powder. This combination of half and half (by volume) dried mushrooms and soy sauce is great for adding umami.