Feijoada a Nordestina
- 1/2 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 chopped bacon (slice)
- 1/4 c chopped parsley (Italian)
- 1.5 c chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 chopped red cayenne peppers
- 1 c dried brown beans (soaked overnight, drained)
- 1/4 lb salt pork (boiled for 5 minutes, cut into 1" cubes)
- 1/4 lb sausage (Italian)
- 1/2 lb corned beef (cut into 2" cubes)
- 1/4 lb ham hocks (smoked lean)
- 100 g chicken breast (boneless, skinless, cut into 2" cubes)
- 1/4 lb round steak (cut into 2" cubes)
- 1/8 t Salt (Table)
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2.5 c water
- 1/4 lb peeled pumpkin (cut into 2" cubes)
- 1/2 peeled chayote squash (core removed, cut into 2" cubes)
- 60 g cabbage - green (cut into 2" cubes)
- 1/4 collard greens (bunch, washed, shredded)
- 60 g fresh green beans (ends removed, cut into 2" lengths)
- 1/4 lb peeled potato (cut into 2" cubes)
- 60 g peeled sweet potato (cut into 2" cubes)
- 1 peeled plantain banana (cut into 2" lengths)
Heat the oil in a large, heavy, deep pot and stir-fry the onion, garlic, and bacon for 2 minutes or until light golden brown.
Add the Italian parsley , tomatoes, and cayenne and sauté for 1 minute.
Add the beans, salt pork, Italian sausage, corned beef, ham hocks, chicken, round steak, salt, black pepper, bay leaves, and water. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed to ensure that the beans are completely covered while cooking.
Add the pumpkin, chayote squash, green cabbage, collard greens, string beans, potato, sweet potato, and plantain bananas. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Do not overcook the vegetables.