- Lot 1:
- 1 t canola oil
- 300 g ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef, etc)
- 40 g diced onion
- 1 t minced garlic
- Lot 2:
- 1/2 t Salt (Table)
- 1/8 t chili powder
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t smoked paprika
- 800 g canned diced tomato
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (low sodium)
- 8 oz water
- 1 c beans (pinto, red, or black)
- Lot 3:
- 1/2 T lime juice (or 1/2 t vinegar)
- Garnishes as desired:
- tortilla chips (broken into pieces)
- corn tortillas (cut into strips and baked)
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
1. In a medium soup pot, brown the ground meat and onion in the oil. Once meat is cooked, add the garlic and saute til fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Add Lot 2 ingredients. Let simmer over medium heat until mixture comes to a light boil.
3. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
4. Add lime juice and taste. Taste and season as desired.
5. Serve with garnishes as desired. Enjoy!
Notes from source: This soup is pretty versatile. You can substitute chicken for the beef, or just leave it out and add more beans. You can add more vegetables. You can buy tortilla chips instead of frying up some cut up tortilla's...but it is a great way to get rid of those few tortilla shells laying in your fridge!
SJ Note 18 Jan 2011: Good, but too spicy and rather thick. I've made adjustments accordingly. Definitely a keeper!
SJ Note 7 Feb 2020: Good, but not spicy enough. Consistency good now. Worked well with turkey. May try some tomato paste next time for deeper tomato flavor - add at beginning.