Green Apple & Tomatillo Cornbread Stuffing
- 50 g tomatillos (husked, cored, stemmed, diced)
- 70 g apple (green, pref. granny smith; peeled, cored, diced)
- 1/4 c diced white onion
- 21 g butter (unsalted)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/4 t Sugar (Granulated)
- 1/2 t Salt (Table)
- 1/4 t ground sage
- 1/4 t ground white pepper
- 1.25 c cornbread (crumbled & dry)
- 35 g raisins (or craisins, 1/4 cup)
- 3 fl oz chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
- 2 chicken breasts (or turkey cutlets or fish fillets, as desired)
- paprika (as desired)
- chili powder (as desired)
- red currant jelly
- ground cinnamon (or allspice)
- ground sage
Preheat oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6. Grease a two-pound loaf pan (a pan of about 32 square inches).
In a medium saucepan, add tomatillos, apple, onion, butter, lemon juice, sugar, salt, sage, and pepper. Mix and cook on medium heat for about 6 or 7 minutes, stirring.
In a large bowl, add cornbread and raisins or craisins. Pour saucepan mixture over cornbread mixture and toss. Add stock, and toss until mixed.
Fill the loaf pan / baking dish with the cornbread mixture. If you want to top with chicken breasts, turkey cutlets, or fish fillets: sprinkle with paprika and chili powder, and place on top now. Bake 30 minutes uncovered.
Heat jelly and spices, and after 15 minutes of baking, spoon over meat or fish.
After meat is cooked, or after stuffing is set, serve and enjoy!