Breakfast Casserole - Ouefs Enterallies
- 6 eggs
- 150 g bacon
- 19 g butter (unsalted)
- 10 g Flour (Plain)
- 1/4 t salt - table
- 1/2 t freshly ground white pepper
- 1/3 c milk
- 1/3 c single cream
- 150 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/8 t dried thyme
- 1/8 t dried marjoram
- 1/8 t dried basil
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley
- bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350F/Gas 4.
2. Hard boil the eggs. Peel and thinly slice them; set aside.
3. While those are cooking, fry bacon until crisp; set aside to drain and cool, then crumble; set aside.
4. Heat the butter in a saucepan until melted (or use bacon grease if you have enough); add flour, salt, and pepper; stir until combined. Gradually pour in the milk and cream, stirring constantly. Add cheese in small amounts, stirring until cheese is melted before adding another addition. Season with garlic, thyme, marjoram, basil, and parsley.
5. Pour some of the cream sauce into a baking dish (8" square or smaller will work). Add a layer of egg slices, then bacon bits, then more cheese sauce. Continue until ingredients are used up, ending with sauce. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and crumbs are browned.
SJ Note 29 Sept 2011: Tasty! Different. Next time double the bacon and add salt and pepper to the cheese sauce; reduce the breadcrumbs (that is, just do a light sprinkling).