Grilled Tomatillo Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless skinless halves)
- 2 provolone cheese (slices)
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 chopped tomatillos (husks removed)
- 2 T lime juice
- 3 chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 cloves minced garlic
- 2 T minced cilantro (fresh)
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t Salt (Sea)
- 1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
- cooked rice (for serving)
- sour cream (for serving, optional)
Grill chicken breasts, covered, over medium heat for 4-7 minutes on each side, or until meat thermometer reads 160F. Top with cheese and cook until melted.
While chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce:
In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add tomatillos, lime juice, jalapenos, and garlic; cook for 3 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and top chicken with sauce over hot rice. Add a dollop of sour cream if desired.
SJ Note 7 Sept 2011: This was tasty! I thought this was going to taste a lot like Chicken with Tomatillos and Cilantro ( http://myst.starforge.co.uk/index.cgi?block=3&op=view&id=474 ), but the cheese and rice really did make a difference. Still a lot of the same flavors, so if you like the one you'll likely like the other; if you don't like one you'll likely dislike the other. We didn't have any provolone in the house, so we used applewood smoked cheddar. A keeper!