Beef Chow Mein
- For the marinade:
- 2 oz beef (sirloin or rump roast, trimmed of all fat and sliced thin)
- 1 pinch Salt (Table)
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- First lot:
- 2.5 t Sugar (Granulated)
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t chopped garlic
- 4 t fish sauce (or 4t soy sauce)
- Second Lot:
- 1 c broccoli (florets)
- 1/4 c thinly sliced carrots
- 2 thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 c thinly sliced bamboo shoots
- 4 sliced snow peas
- 1/4 c sliced celery
- Third Lot:
- 1/2 c thinly sliced onion
- 1 c thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 T oyster sauce
- For Serving:
- 2 c cooked rice
Place sliced beef in a small bowl. Add the rest of the marinade ingredients. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
In a small bowl, combine First Lot of ingredients; set aside. In another bowl, combine Second Lot of ingredients; set aside. In another bowl, combine Third Lot of ingredients; set aside.
Heat skillet or wok over high heat. Stir-fry beef until cooked throughout. Add Second Lot. Stir and shake pan constantly for 2-3 minutes more until vegetables just start to become aromatic. Blend in First Lot of ingredients. Add Third Lot. Continue to stir-fry approximately 1 minute or until crisp tender.
Serve over hot rice.
SJ Note 29 Dec 2010: This was tasty, but needs much more sauce.