- 400 g ground pork (14 oz)
- 1 lb ground pork liver
- 3 T finely chopped onion
- 2 T finely chopped bell pepper
- 2 T finely chopped celery
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1/4 t granulated garlic
- 1/2 t poultry seasoning (or combine equal parts sage, thyme, and oregano)
- 1/2 t Kitchen Bouquet (or pork stock cube)
- 90 mL pork stock (double-strength)
- 1.5 T dark roux
- 1/2 t paprika
- 2 c cooked rice (up to 3 cups, as needed)
In a large skillet, brown the pork, breaking up as much as you can as you stir. Add the pork liver and brown, breaking it up as well. Brown on high heat for about 3 more minutes.
Add onion, bell pepper, celery, black pepper, cayenne, grandulated garlic, and poultry seasoning; stir well. Simmer on high for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add Kitchen Bouquet (or stock cube) and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring attentively. Add the roux and stir until well mixed. Stir in paprika. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Mix with enough warm cooked rice to reach desired texture. Serve hot.
SJ Note 6 Aug 2011: Tasty! Omitted the liver. We've frozen the rest, and we'll see how it thaws and reheats.
SJ Note 11 Sept 2011: Texture went wonky upon thawing and reheating; definitely need to make this dish fresh.