- 1 c finely chopped tomato (fresh)
- 3 T finely chopped basil (fresh)
- 1 cloves minced garlic
- 1 t extra virgin olive oil
- 3/8 t Salt (Sea)
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- Italian bread (12 slices, each 1/2" thick; staler bread works better)
- fresh mozzarella cheese (12 thin slices)
Chop the tomato, basil leaves, and garlic clove; you want a coarse, somewhat chunky mixture. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper; season to taste.
On a baking sheet, line up bread slices. Toast in oven until hardened - start checking at 2 minutes. Turn over, and toast other side. Once toasted until crunchy, lay a piece of mozzarella cheese on top. Sprinkle a little salt on each slice. Place bread back in oven and melt cheese slightly. Remove from oven and spread about one tablespoon of the tomato mixture on each piece. Serve warm.
SJ Note: This is pretty good. I've made some adaptations to the original (1" slices were way too thick, and rubbing the garlic clove on the bread didn't seem to do much but aggravate me). This is a pretty easy appetizer. Will make again.