Stir Fry Mix'n'Match
- Ginger Soy Sauce:
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 2 T soy sauce (dark)
- 20 g honey (1 T)
- 1/2 T grated ginger (fresh)
- 1/2 T minced green onion
- 1/2 t Corn Starch / Corn Flour
- 1 t water (cold)
- 1 t sesame oil (to drizzle over finished dish)
- Thai Coconut Sauce:
- 7 oz coconut milk
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1/2 T green curry paste
- 2 T chopped cilantro (or mint, fresh)
- 1/8 t salt
- Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 c apricot jam
- 2 T ketchup
- 1 T cider vinegar
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- Peanut Sauce:
- 1/2 c water
- 3 T peanut butter (creamy)
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/8 t crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 pound of protein (mix and match as desired):
- shelled shrimp
- chicken (boneless, skinless, cut in 3/4" cubes)
- beef steak (boneless sirloin, flank, or skirt steak, cut into 1/4" thick strips)
- pork tenderloin (cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1/4" slices)
- firm tofu (cut into 1" cubes)
- 2 cups of veggies (mix and match as desired):
- broccoli florets
- cauliflower florets
- sliced mushrooms
- edamame (shelled)
- sliced bell pepper (yellow or red, 1/2" strips)
- sliced cubanelle pepper (1/2" strips)
- thinly sliced carrots
- sliced asparagus (1.5" long slices)
- snow peas
- red onion (1/2" thick wedges)
- Finishing Touches:
- toasted sesame seeds
- crushed red pepper flakes
- thinly sliced green onions
- fresh cilantro
- fresh mint
- Sides (instructions below assume you've cooked the noodles/rice prior to commencing the stir-fry):
- jasmine rice
- brown rice
- buckwheat noodles
- cellophane/rice noodles
- lo mein noodles
- stir-fry noodles
First, make your sauce:
Ginger soy sauce:
Stir orange juice, dark soy sauce, honey, ginger, and minced green onion together. Make a slurry with cornstarch and water; add to pan immediately after adding sauce. Once food is cooked, drizzle over 1 t sesame oil.
Thai coconut sauce:
Whisk coconut milk, brown sugar, green curry paste, chopped cilantro or mint, and salt in small bowl until blended.
Sweet & Sour sauce:
Stir apricot jam/preserves, ketchup, cider vinegar, and minced garlic in small bowl until blended.
Whisk water, peanut butter, soy sauce, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper in small bowl until blended.
Then, prepare your protein, vegetables, finishing touches, and sides.
Then, commence your stir-fry:
1. Heat 1 T oil in large nonstick skillet.
2. Add protein to skillet; stir-fry over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes until cooked through. Remove to plate.
3. Add 2 t oil to skillet; heat. Add 4 cups of any one or combination of vegetables; stir-fry 3-5 minutes until crisp-tender.
4. Add sauce to skillet; bring to simmer. Add protein; simmer 1-2 minutes until sauce thickens and coats mixture.
5. Serve with choice of side, and top with finishing touches.
SJ Note: Always a favorite. We've had the ginger soy sauce several times, don't think we've tried any of the other sauces. This originally called for coating the protein in corn starch, I suspect to help thicken the sauce at the end, but the cornstarch just burns onto the pan, so I've removed that step.