Broccoli Soup 1
- 1 t olive oil
- 1 t butter
- 6 oz broccoli florets
- 1 diced potato (small, floury or all-purpose)
- 2.5 c chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
- 1 parmesan rind (small piece)
- 1/4 t urfa pepper (or mild red pepper flakes, to taste)
- 1/2 t salt (coarse)
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil and butter in a Dutch oven or heavy stock pot. Sauté the broccoli, potato chunks and onion for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is translucent but the vegetables have not begun to brown.
Add the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the potato is quite soft.
Remove the pot from heat, and use an immersion blender to purée the soup. (Or, allow the soup to cool slightly and purée in batches in a stand blender.)
Return the soup to the stove top over low heat, and add the cheese rind and urfa biber or red pepper flakes. Bring to the simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.