Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuit Topping
- 140 g Flour (Plain) (1 cup)
- 113 g Flour (Cake) (plain, 1 cup)
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1 t sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 227 g butter (unsalted) (8 T; chilled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4" pieces)
- 3/4 c buttermilk (cold, plus 1-2 T if needed)
1. Pulse the dry ingredients in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter pieces; pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal with a few slightly larger butter lumps.
2. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl; add the buttermilk; stir with a fork until the dough gathers into moist clumps. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and form into a rough ball, then roll dough 1/2" thick. Using 2.5"-3" pastry cutter, stamp out 8 rounds of dough. If making individual pies, cut the dough slightly smaller than the circumference of each dish. (Dough rounds can be refrigerated on a lightly floured baking sheet covered with plastic wrap up to 2 hours).
3. Arrange the dough rounds over the warm filling and proceed with Pot Pie 3 recipe.
SJ Note: This is designed to be used with their Chicken Pot Pie recipe, here: http://myst.starforge.co.uk/index.cgi?block=3&op=view&id=627 . Note I've halved that copy, so you'll want to double that one, halve this one, or freeze half of this dough.