Stir-fried broccoli with black bean sauce
- 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1 T black bean sauce
- 1/2 T sherry
- 1/2 t toasted sesame oil
- The rest:
- 1 T oil (peanut if you have it; vegetable will be fine)
- 1 steamed broccoli (cooked for just 1 minute and then removed from the steamer)
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 T sesame seeds (toasted in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant)
1. Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Add the oil to the empty skillet and raise the heat to high. When the oil is shimmering, add the partially steamed broccoli and pepper flakes and cook, stirring every 30 seconds until fully cooked and heated through, about 2.5 minutes. Add the sauce and cook until it's syrupy, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.
For the steamed broccoli recipe, see here: http://myst.starforge.co.uk/index.cgi?block=3&op=view&id=651
SJ Note 24 Mar 2012: We weren't sure whether to finish the steamed broccoli recipe (toss it with oil after steaming) or not, so we skipped that, and just steamed it. The final result seemed distinctly overcooked to me, but the flavor was good, so we'll try it again with less cooking. I've changed the steaming from 2.5 minutes to 1 minute. If you should need to leave the broccoli to the side after steaming before you can stir fry it, for any reason, make sure to plunge it in cold water to stop the cooking, or else the broccoli will continue to cook as it sits.