- 280 g plain flour
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t ground cloves
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t salt
- 168 g butter (softened)
- 220 g sugar
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 42 g molasses (2T)
- cinnamon sugar (or sugar, for rolling)
1. Sift together flour, baking soda, and ground cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
2. Beat together butter and sugar using electric mixer on highish, about 2 minutes. Add egg and molasses. Mix well.
3. Add the dry ingredients gradually to the wet.
4. If you have time, chill the dough for about an hour to make it easier to work with. If not, proceed with step 5.
5. Form balls, about ½ Tablespoon size. Roll each ball in granulated sugar, arrange on ungreased cookie sheet, about two inches apart.
6. Bake at Gas 5 / 190C / 375F for 9 to 10 minutes.