Potato Salad 3 (American)
- Step One:
- 2 lb potatoes (peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes, Yukon Gold called for)
- cold water (as needed)
- 1 t Salt (Table) (plus 1/2tsp later)
- Step Two:
- 2 T dill pickle juice (plus 1T later)
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- Step Three:
- 1 T dill pickle juice
- 1/4 c finely chopped dill pickles
- 1/2 t Salt (Table)
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 t celery seed
- 1/2 c mayonnaise
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/3 c finely chopped red onion
- 1 finely chopped celery stalks
- At Serving time:
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (peeled and cut into 1/4" dice, optional)
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan with cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, add salt, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes thoroughly, then spread out on rimmed baking sheet. Mix 2T pickle juice and mustard together in small bowl, drizzle mixture over potatoes, and toss until evenly coated. Refrigerate until cooled, about 30 minutes.
3. Mix remaining pickle juice, chopped pickles, salt, pepper, celery seed, mayonnaise, sour cream, red onion, and celery in a large bowl. Toss in the cooled potatoes, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled, about 30 minutes. (Salad can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 2 days). Gently stir in eggs, if using, just before serving.