Chocolate Cupcakes (Moist)
- For 10-12 cupcakes:
- 28 g semisweet chocolate
- 118 mL coffee (hot brewed, or hot water, or decaf coffee)
- 220 g Sugar (Granulated)
- 112 g Flour (Plain)
- 57 g unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2/3 t baking soda
- 1/3 t baking powder
- 1/2 t Salt (Table) (scant)
- 1 egg (large)
- 79 mL vegetable oil
- 118 mL buttermilk (full fat, well shaken)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- For 30-34 cupcakes:
- 85 g semisweet chocolate
- 355 mL coffee (hot brewed, or hot water, or decaf coffee)
- 660 g Sugar (Granulated)
- 337 g Flour (Plain)
- 172 g unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1.25 t Salt (Table)
- 3 eggs (large)
- 237 mL vegetable oil
- 355 mL buttermilk (full fat, well shaken)
- 2 t vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, 150 degrees Celsius, Gas Mark 2. Prepare cupcake tins with liners.
2. Finely chop chocolate (if using chocolate chips you don't have to chop it) and add it to the hot coffee to let it melt.
3. Meanwhile, into a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In another large bowl, beat eggs until thickened slightly, and lemon colored, about 5 minutes with an electric hand mixer.
5. Stir the chocolate mixture until all the chocolate is melted and combined. Slowly add the oil, vanilla, and buttermilk to the chocolate mixture, beating until combined well. Add a quarter of the dry mixture then blend until incorporated, then add another 1/4 and combine, and repeat until all of the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and blend again just until that is all incorporated.
6. Mixture will be like a thick liquid. Pour batter into a measuring cup with a pouring spout. Pour batter into cupcake liners filling about half to 2/3rds of the way full. Don't overfill. These rise quite a bit. Bake for about 26-32 minutes. If the center still looks caved in, or wet in the middle, they are not done. The top should look slightly rounded. They are done when they pass a toothpick test. While cupcakes are baking, prepare frosting below if you want to use it.
7. Cool on wire racks, and frost when they are completely cool.
SJ Note: This chocolate buttercream recipe was provided with this cupcake recipe: http://myst.starforge.co.uk/index.cgi?block=recipemanage&op=view&id=700