- 454 g dried beans
- 2.78 L water
- 54 g Salt (Table)
- 1 L water
1. Spread the beans out on a baking sheet or something similar. Search through them for stones and other unwanted (non-bean) things; pick these out and discard them.
2. Place beans in a large bowl (preferably at least 6 quart/6L). Add 2.78L cold water to this bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine salt and 1L water in a saucepan. Heat and stir just until salt dissolves; remove from heat.
4. Either let salt water come to room temperature by sitting, or place pot in a cold water bath for about 10 minutes. Once salt water is cooled, add to bowl with beans. Mix.
5. Leave to brine at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours.
6. Drain and rinse the beans well before cooking.
Note from source: If you happen to soak beans and aren’t able to use them immediately, they can be drained, transferred to a zipper-lock bag, and refrigerated for up to four days before being used without ill affect to flavor or texture. Don’t extend the soaking time. After 24 hours of soaking, beans can lose flavor and develop a mealy texture.