- 150 g sugar - caster
- 115 g butter (softened)
- 140 g Flour - plain
- 1 t baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 plums (pitted and halved)
- 1 t ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 1.5 T sugar - caster (for sprinkling on top)
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a pan; set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together until mix appears white. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; mix until just combined.
Pour into cake pan and press the plums into the mixture. Sprinkle cinnamon and caster sugar on top.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
You can either allow the cake to cool, or eat it warm.
Notes from source:
- For a richer version: Change the caster sugar to dark brown sugar; add 1t nutmeg and 1/2t ginger.
- For a vegan version: Remove the eggs, add 1T baking powder, and use a butter alternative.
SJ Notes 4 Dec 2013: This was served at a Walk the Wheel I went to - it was delicious! The recipe was given out, but doesn't include pan size, so I'm guessing from my memory of seeing it - it was quite a shallow cake.