Mini Golden Syrup Sponges
- oil (for greasing molds)
- 4 T golden syrup (plus more for drizzling when serving)
- 125 g butter (unsalted) (softened)
- 125 g sugar - caster
- 2 eggs (medium)
- grated lemon zest (from 1/2 lemon)
- 125 g Flour - plain
- 1/2 T baking powder
- 1/2 t salt - table
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 75 mL milk
- boiling water (as needed)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Heavily grease four 6oz (175mL) molds. Place 1T golden syrup into the bottom of each.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric handheld mixer until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, followed by the lemon zest. Fold in the flour, ground ginger, and milk; fold until smooth.
3. Divide the batter among the molds, then cover each tightly with foil and put into a roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come 2cm (3/4") up the sides of the molds.
4. Bake for 25 min, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool in the molds for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the mold to loosen. Turn out onto plates and drizzle extra golden syrup on top, if desired. Serve immediately.