Taco Chicken Bowls
- Place in slow cooker:
- 3/4 lb chicken breast
- 8 oz salsa
- 1 c cooked black beans (drained)
- 4 oz corn (optional)
- 1/4 t chili powder (to taste)
- 3/4 t ground cumin
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 1/8 t cayenne
- 1/8 t salt - table
- 1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c water (as needed)
- 1 c rice (dry)
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro (to taste, for garnish)
1. Place all the first lot of ingredients in a pot that can go in the oven. Give everything a good stir and make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture. Cover the pot and cook in the oven at 75C / 167F for 8 hours.
1b. Alternately, place mixture in a slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
2. After 8 hours, start cooking the rice.
3. While the rice cooks, remove the lid from your pot. Stir the mix with a fork to shred the chicken, pulling it apart with two forks if necessary.
4. Once the rice is done, build the taco bowls: Place the rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, then the shredded cheese, and garnish with the fresh cilantro.
SJ Note 21 Jan 2014: I'm leaving this as Not Tried, because we had to make such significant alterations that it really wasn't this recipe anymore. We didn't have the chicken breasts I thought we did, but we had pulled pork on hand, so we used that. We didn't have as much, so we used more beans. Since the pork was already cooked, we just tossed it all together and let it heat through while the rice cooked. It was tasty - and quick, done that way - so it's a keeper. Look forward to trying it as written some time!