Southwestern Steak Tips with Refried Beans
- 1.5 lb sirloin steak tips (trimmed and cut into 2" chunks; called "cap of rump" in the UK)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 c finely chopped onion
- 1 t chipotle powder
- 1 t ground cumin
- 400 g canned diced tomato (14oz)
- 1/2 c water (120mL)
- 3 T fresh lime juice (juice of 2 limes; divided: 2T + 1T)
- lime wedges (for serving)
- 5 T chopped cilantro (fresh; divided: 2T + 3T)
- 30 oz canned refried beans
1. Pat steak tips dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12" skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add steak tips and cook until well browned all over, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to serving platter and tent loosely with foil.
2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, and 1/4 tsp salt to now-empty skillet. Lower heat to medium and cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
3. Add chile powder and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and water and cook until sauce has almost thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Return steak tips and any accumulated juices to skillet. Stir in 1 tablespoon lime juice and 2 tablespoons cilantro and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Meanwhile, combine refried beans, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, and remaining 3 tablespoons cilantro in a bowl. Cover and microwave until warmed through, about 4 minutes. Serve with steak tips and lime wedges.