Soba Noodles with Pork and Scallions
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 3.4 lb thinly sliced pork tenderloin (cut into thin strips)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 6 oz chopped Shiitake mushroom (stemmed and quartered)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/2 T grated ginger
- 1.5 c bean sprouts
- 1 T soy sauce
- 2 T mirin
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 4 oz soba noodles (User lighter buckwheat+wheat noodles rather than 100% buckwheat)
- 2 thinly sliced green onion
1. Boil water for noodles: bring water to boil in a large pot.
2. Stir-fry pork: Heat 1T oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking. Add pork in a single layer and cook without stirring for 1 minute. Stir pork and continue to cook until most, but not all, of pink colour has disappeared and pork is lightly browned around edges, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer pork to a bowl, cover, and set aside.
3. Stir-fry mushrooms: Add remaining oil to skillet, return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
4. Boil and drain noodles: while mushrooms, pork, and sauce are cooking, add soba and 1t of salt to boiling water and cook, stirring often, until al dente, about 4 minutes. Reserve 1/2C of cooking water, then train soba and return to pot.
5. Combine pork, mushrooms, and sauce: Stir garlic and ginger into mushrooms and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in bean sprouts, soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, and port with any accumulated juices. Cook until pork is cooked through.
6. Toss noodles with pork mixture: stir pork-mushroom mixture and green onions into noodles. Add reserved cooking water as necessary to moisten, and serve.