Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 2 t minced garlic
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 T smoked paprika
- 1 t cumin
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t freshly ground pepper
- 1 c diced onion
- 225 g chopped chicken
- 1 c long grain rice (uncooked)
- 225 g green beans
- 400 g chopped tomatoes (1 can, undrained)
- 1.5 c chicken broth
- 1 t salt
- 1 T chopped parsley
1. Mince the garlic and add it to a large deep skillet along with the olive oil. Cook over medium-low heat for 30 seconds, or just until soft and fragrant.
Add the smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir and sauté the spices in the hot oil for one more minute.
2. Add the onion and chicken to the skillet. Sauté about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the rice and sauté for 2 minutes more.
3. Add the green beans to the skillet along with the can of diced tomatoes, broth, and salt. Roughly chop the parsley and add it to the skillet, reserving a small amount to sprinkle over the finished dish.
Stir all the ingredients in the skillet until evenly combined.
4. Place a lid on the skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high. Allow the skillet to come to a boil.
Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Make sure it's simmering the whole time and adjust the heat up slightly if necessary to keep it simmering.
5. After simmering for 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest for 5 minutes without removing the lid.
Finally, remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and top with the remaining chopped parsley.
Notes from August(?) 2015: We apparently tried this, but when I came to enter it, we found we'd completely forgotten any comments about it. Not sure what that says about the recipe, but we should probably try it again at some point...