Thai Vegetable Soup
- First Lot:
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (or grated zest of 1 lime)
- 1 thinly sliced lemongrass (3" piece)
- 1 fresh ginger (3" piece, minced)
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 t curry powder
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1.5 c mushrooms (stems removed and sliced)
- 1 T soy sauce (light)
- 1 diced chili (fresh, seeds and ribs removed, red Thai pepper if possible, optional)
- Second Lot:
- 1 c thinly sliced carrots
- 2 T fresh cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1 c bean sprouts
- Third Lot:
- 2 oz noodles (thin)
- Final Touches:
- coarse salt
- 1 T lime juice
- lime wedges (for garnish)
- fresh mint leaves (for garnish)
1. In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the First Lot. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in Second Lot. Simmer for 2 minutes more.
3. Add Third Lot (noodles). Simmer for 3 minutes more.
4. Remove lime leaves and discard. Season with salt and lime juice. Ladle soup into shallow soup bowls. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges and mint. Serve immediately.
SJ Note: Good! I didn't miss the chicken. Too many noodles, so I've fixed that here.