Chorizo and Bell Pepper Scrambled Eggs on Toast
- 6 eggs
- 3 T half and half (half whipping cream, half milk)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T butter
- 1.25 t minced chipotle in adobo
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 4 oz fresh chorizo sausage (cut into 1/2" pieces)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (cored and cut into 1/2" pieces)
- 2 thinly sliced green onions (white and green parts)
- 1/4 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 thick slices white bread (toasted)
Making the Minutes Count: Because this dish comes together quickly, prep all your ingredients before you begin cooking.
1. Combine egg mixture and prepare chipotle butter: Whisk eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper together and set aside. In a separate bowl, mash the butter, chipotle, and garlic together and set aside.
2. Cook sausage and vegetables: Heat oil in 12" nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add chorizo and cook until fat begins to render, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and scallion whites, and continue to cook until chorizo and peppers begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
3. Start to cook eggs: Wipe skillet clean with paper towels and return to medium heat. Add 1/2 Tablespoon chipotle butter and melt, swirling to coat skillet, until foaming subsides. Following illustrations on page 3, add eggs and cook, using rubber spatula to push them back and forth, until curds begin to form. Continue to cook, lifting and folding curds from side to side, until they're about halfway cooked, about 1.5 minutes.
4. Add sausage: Gently fold in chorizo mixture. Continue to cook eggs until they clump in a single mound but are still very moist, about 3 minutes.
5. Finish and assemble: Off heat, gently fold in cheddar and scallion greens. Spread remaining chipotle butter on toast and spoon eggs on top. Serve immediately.
SJ Note 13 Jan 2016: This was strange. We'll try it again, but we'll use Mettrick's fresh sausage instead of cured chorizo. Be careful about doing the toast too early, or else it'll go cold. Have also tweaked addition of sausage to eggs. We had it with fruit, but will need more than that for a dinner in the future.