Chicken Paprikash 2 (30-min)
- 1 lb chopped chicken (boneless, skinless)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c finely chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper (cored)
- 1 T cooked bacon (finey chopped)
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1 T flour
- 1 T paprika (half smoked, half regular)
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 7 oz canned chopped tomatoes (1/2 can)
- 1 fl oz sour cream
- 1 T fresh parsley (minced)
- 125 g fettucine (cooked, to serve)
Making the Minutes Count: Immediately start the chicken in the microwave, then chop the onion. Measure out the flour and broth while the onion cooks.
1. Microwave chicken: Season chicken with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer in a microwave-safe casserole dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on 50% power for 15 minutes.
2. Saute aromatics: While chicken cooks, heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion, bell pepper, and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in cooked bacon and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Bring pasta water to a boil: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Leave it simmering until needed in step 6.
4. Build sauce: Mix together flour and paprika. Stir in flour mixture and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in broth, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
5. Simmer chicken: Reduce heat to low and add microwaved chicken with any accumulated juices. Cover and continue to cook until chicken is tender, about 10 minutes.
6. Boil pasta: While chicken cooks, boil the pasta according to package directions.
7. Finish stew: Off heat, stir 1/2 cup of sauce into sour cream to temper, then stir mixture back into pot. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over cooked fettucine.
SJ Note 23 Jan 2016: This was good! Only needed minor tweaks.