- 4 c chicken broth
- 1/4 t dried thyme (or 1/2 t fresh)
- 1/4 t dried basil
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 T oil
- 1/4 c chopped onion
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 T minced garlic
- 9 oz fresh tortellini (no more)
1. Heat broth mixture: Bring broth, thyme, and bay leaves to boil, covered, in a large saucepan and set aside.
2. Brown onion: Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and salt, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until lightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic, broth mixture, tortellini, and cook: Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth mixture, scraping up any browned bits. Add tortellini and cook until tender, 3 to 6 minutes.
4. Season and serve: Remove from heat. Remove bay leaves, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
SJ Note 30 Jan 2016: Good start. We used too many tortellinis, so it was weird. Try it again, but use only the tortellinis called for - or more broth.