Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1.5 c cooked black beans (or 15oz canned)
- 1.5 c cooked kidney beans (or 15oz canned)
- 113 g tomato paste (4oz)
- 285 g corn kernels (frozen; 10oz)
- 570 g canned chopped tomatoes (20oz)
- 140 g chopped chilis
- 1.5 T cumin
- 1.5 T American chili powder
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- The rest:
- 680 g chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
- cooked rice (to serve, if desired)
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro (fresh)
1. Combine onion, beans, tomato paste, water, corn, chopped tomatoes, chili, and seasoning in a slow cooker and mix well.
2. Nestle the chicken in to completely cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.
4. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.
5. Serve over rice if desired. Top with fresh cilantro and your favorite toppings.
SJ Note 26 Sep 2016: This was just okay. Chris liked it, but I thought it was too bland. I'd only used 70g chilis, since that was 5, so I could up that next time. But it needs more flavor. Will have to play with it.