Roasted Beets and Carrots
- 3/4 lb beets, trimmed, leaving 1" of stems attached
- 3/4 lb carrots, cut diagonally into 3/4"-thick slices
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- pinch dried thyme
- pinch dried marjoram
- zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Wrap beets tightly in foil and roast in middle of oven on a baking sheet until tender, about 75 minutes.
2. Toss carrots in a shallow baking pan with 1/2 T olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Remove beets from oven and roast carrots in middle of oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
4. While carrots are roasting, unwrap beets and, when just cool enough to handle, slip off skins and remove stems. Cut each beet into 4-6 wedges, depending on the size of the beet. You’re aiming for pieces that are roughly the same size as your carrot pieces.
5. Add beets to carrots, tossing to combine, and roast until beets are hot and carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes more.
6. Whisk remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme, marjoram, and lemon zest together. Toss with roasted vegetables and serve.