Open-face chicken burgers with basil mayo
- olive oil (for brushing)
- Basil Mayo:
- 1 c mayo
- 1.25 c chopped basil (fresh; plus more later)
- 3 T chopped cornichons (or dill pickle, plus 1.5T brine from jar)
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Chicken burgers:
- 570 g ground chicken
- 4 1/2" thick slices white bread
- 4 1/3" thick slices heirloom tomato
- 1/4 c chopped basil (fresh; plus 8 leaves)
1. Brush grill with oil; prepare barbecue (medium heat).
2. Mix mayonnaise, 1 cup chopped basil, cornichons (or dill pickles), brine, and green onions in small bowl. Season basil mayo with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix chicken and 1/2 cup basil mayo in large bowl. Using wet hands, shape the chicken mixture into 4 1/2"-thick patties Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush bread with oil.
4.Grill bread until crisp and golden, about 1 minute per side. Transfer bread to plates. Grill burgers until firm to touch and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
5. Spread bread slices thickly with basil mayo. Top each bread slice with tomato slice, 2 basil leaves, burger, and dollop of basil mayo. Garnish with remaining chopped basil.