- Panko mixture:
- 42 g butter
- 1 minced shallot
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 t minced thyme (fresh)
- 1/3 c panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper (plus more later)
- 2 T minced parsley (fresh)
- Mayo mixture:
- 2 T mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 t grated lemon zest
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 haddock fillets (6-8oz each; 1-1.5" thick; skinless)
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300F. Spray the wire rack on your grill pan with cooking spray.
Make panko mixture:
2. Melt butter in 12" skillet over medium heat.
3. Add shallot and salt; cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add panko and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until evenly browned, 5-7 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Transfer panko mixture to shallow dish and let cool for 10 minutes.
Make mayo mixture:
7. Mix mayo, egg yolk, lemon zest, and pepper in a bowl.
8. Pat fish dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
9. Coat tops of fillets evenly with mayo mixture.
10. Dredge coated side in panko mixture, pressing gently to adhere, and place fish crumb side up onto prepared grill pan.
11. Bake until centres are just opaque, 30-40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Serve.
SJ Note 24 Aug 2017: Pretty good! Needs rewrite for clarity. (I hope I've done that now; was working from the original that day.)