White Mountain Cake
- 142 g shortening
- 385 g sugar
- 420 g cake flour (3 cups)
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 t baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 1 c milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t lemon extract (or almond extract)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 9" round pans.
2. Mix cake flour, salt, and baking powder; then sift.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat shortening until smooth. Add sugar gradually, and beat until fluffy.
5. Add extracts to milk. Set aside.
6. Add flour mixture alternatively with milk mixture. Beat thoroughly after each addition.
7. Fold egg whites into mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans.
8. Bake in a preheated oven until the cake springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 -30 minutes.
9. Allow to cool completely before frosting.