White Mountain Frosting 1
- 2 large egg whites
- 110 g sugar
- 1/4 c golden syrup (or light corn syrup)
- 2 T water
- 1 t vanilla
1. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed just until stiff peaks form.
2. In a 1-quart saucepan, stir sugar, golden syrup, and water until well mixed. Cover and heat to rolling boil over medium heat.
3. Uncover and boil 4-8 minutes, without stirring, to 242F (or until small amount of mixture dropped into cup of very cold water forms a firm ball that holds it shape until pressed).
4. Pour hot syrup very slowly in a thin stream into the egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed.
5. Add vanilla. Beat on high speed about 10 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
Note from source: Frosts a 13"x9" cake generously, or fills and frosts an 8" or 9" two-layer cake.