Slow Cook Chicken Tortilla Soup 2
- 1 c chopped onion
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1 lb chicken (boneless, skinless)
- 1/2 T American chili powder
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 800 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 50 g diced green chilis (fresh)
- 1.5 c cooked black beans
- 1 c cooked red kidney beans
- 6 c chicken broth
- Tortilla Crisps
- 4 corn tortillas (6")
- 1 T cooking oil
- Optiona toppings
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
1. Add all the soup ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix it all up, place the lid on it, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
2. After this cook time, carefully remove the chicken breast(s), shred with forks, and then return the meat to the soup.
To make the tortilla crisps:
3. Preheat the oven to 400F. Stack the tortillas, then slice them into strips approximately 1/4" wide and 2" to 3" long. Place the strips in a bowl, drizzle with cooking oil and a pinch of salt. Gently toss the strips until they're completely coated in oil.
4. Spread the strips over a baking sheet in a single layer, overlapping as little as possible. Bake 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until they are deeply golden brown and crispy. Watch them closely.
5. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, top with a handful of the tortilla crisps and some chopped cilantro. Squeeze a wedge of fresh lime over the top just before eating.