Teriyaki Shrimp and Rice
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1 c diced onion
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1 t minced ginger (fresh)
- 1 c frozen peas
- 150 g white rice (uncooked)
- 1 c water
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 2 T brown sugar
- hot sauce (to garnish)
- sliced green onions (to garnish)
1. If your shrimp is frozen, thaw it first by placing in a bowl of cold water.
2. Heat some oil in the bottom of a pot. Cook the onion, garlic, and ginger; cook til soft.
3. Add the frozen peas (no need to thaw the peas) and the uncooked rice. Stir these ingredients together.
4. Add the shrimp to the top of the rice mixture, then pour in water. Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes. Do not uncover.
5. Once the rice is cooked, let it rest for an additional 5-10 minutes before removing the lid. While waiting, stir together the soy sauce and brown sugar.
6. Finally, remove the lid and pour the soy sauce mixture over the contents in the rice cooker. Gently fold the sauce into the rice. Serve hot, with hot sauce or sliced green onions if desired.
Note: Can use other meats, but precook them and add at end. This was originally a rice cooker recipe, but I have adjusted it for cooking in a pot on the stove. Will probably require some trial and error.
SJ Note 10 Sept 2018: Needs more flavor and more meat/less rice. Have adjusted the rice & water above, and added the cooking of the onion, garlic, and ginger first. Watch carefully to make sure there's enough water. Consider adding fish sauce, etc.
- This version (Fri, 15 Feb 2019 15:28)
- Teriyaki Shrimp and Rice (Wed, 05 Sep 2018 12:56)