Chicken Cacciatore 2
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, 6 to 8 oz)
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil (as needed)
- 225 g sliced portabello mushroom caps (gills removed, caps halved and thinly sliced)
- 225 g sliced onion
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 T minced rosemary (fresh)
- 1/4 T crushed red pepper flakes
- 200 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c chicken broth
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken and cook til browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side; transfer to plate.
2. Heat oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat til shimmering. Add mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt; cook until well browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to plate with chicken.
3. Heat oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat til shimmering. Add onions, bell pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt; cook until beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, rosemary, and red pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add tomatoes with their juice, and any accumulated chicken juice. Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
6. Nestle chicken and mushrooms into skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until chicken registers 160F, about 10 minutes, flipping chicken once halfway through cooking.
7. Transfer chicken to platter, place in a preheated low oven, and let rest for 5 minutes.
8. Continue to simmer sauce until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve.