Tomato Cream Pasta
- 115 g pasta
- 200 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 T olive oil
- 6 oz chicken breast
- 1.5 T cream cheese, optional
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T shredded basil
- 1/4 c stock, as needed
1. Mix together the chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, and 1/2 T oil.
2. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat. When the pan is hot, brown the chicken on both sides and set aside. Pour the tomato mixture into the pan and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Let simmer while you slice up your browned chicken breast into bite-sized slices. This would be a good time to start boiling your pasta water.
3. Return the chicken to the pan. Allow the chicken to cook through with the tomatoes. This would be a good time to cook your pasta. When the pasta is almost done, lower the heat and add the cream cheese, if using, and the chives, pepper to taste, and the basil.
4. When the cream cheese has mixed in and your pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce. If it is too thick, add some liquid until you get the consistency you like. Pasta water is good for this, or stock. Serve with a sprig of basil on top, if you like!
SJ Note 29 July 2009: Did not like. Will try again with canned chopped tomatoes instead of sun-dried tomatoes. Have already rewritten recipe.
SJ Note 20 Feb 2012: This was good! A keeper. Not a one-dish meal, though: either need to make more, or serve with side dishes.