Chicken a la King
- 225 g diced chicken breast (about 1" cubes)
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning (as desired, or a combination of salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder)
- 1/2 t ground rosemary (as desired)
- 42 g butter (3T)
- 1/2 c sliced mushrooms (fresh)
- 1/4 c chopped green bell pepper
- 3 T Flour (Plain)
- 1 t Salt (Table)
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1 c evaporated milk
- 1 c chicken stock (divided: 1/2 cup with milk, then 1/2 cup as needed at end)
- 1/2 c diced pimiento
- cooked rice (to serve)
1. Season the chicken with the Slap Ya Mama and the rosemary, and cook in a large skillet with oil or butter. Once it is cooked, set it aside.
2. Melt butter in skillet. Add mushrooms and green pepper; season. Cook for 3 minutes. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Continue stirring and cooking until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk and 1/2 cup of the chicken stock, stirring constantly.
3. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. About 3 minutes in, evaluate the consistency of the sauce. If you'd like a thinner sauce, add more chicken stock. If you'd like a thicker sauce, blend 2 T cornstarch with ¼ c cold water; add to sauce, a little at a time until desired thickness is reached. Add chicken and pimiento; heat through.
4. Serve over rice.
You can use half and half or milk if you're out of evaporated milk. Serve over biscuits or rice or something to catch the sauce.
SJ Note 5 July 2010: We made some modifications tonight when we had this, and I've noted them above, and it was a really good dish as a result - usually it's kind of mediocre. So if you haven't tried this yet, now's the time! :-)
SJ Note 4 Apr 2014: Doubled the pimento and seasoned liberally; came out really nice.