Homemade Dinner Rolls
- 1/2 c milk, scalded but cooled to warm
- 94 g Flour (Plain) (white)
- 219 g Flour (Wholemeal) (plain)
- 3.5 g dry active yeast
- 14 g Sugar (Granulated)
- 1 t salt
- 1 egg yolk (beaten)
- 57 g margarine (melted)
- 1/2 c warm water (100-110F; as needed)
- canola oil (for bowl and muffin pan)
- 28 g margarine (melted, optional, for brushing on top)
Scald milk (heat to 180F, then turn off heat). Set aside to cool, about 15 minutes, until it reaches 100-110F (no more than 110F or it'll kill the yeast).
In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add warm milk, egg yolk, and 57g melted margarine. Mix well, adding warm water as needed to make an elastic dough. Roll out to floured surface and knead dough for about 10 minutes.
Place dough in oiled bowl, cover, and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
Lightly oil the muffin pan. Punch down dough and form dough into 1" balls. Place 3 balls in each muffin tin. Fill muffin pan, and allow to rise an additional 30 min.
Preheat oven to 425F. Brush with remaining 28g melted margarine, if using. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- This version (Sat, 04 Jan 2020 22:30)
- Homemade Dinner Rolls (Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:41)