- 1 T oil (for sauteeing chicken)
- 14 g butter (1 T, for sauteeing chicken)
- 6 oz chicken breast (pounded thin)
- 1 c Flour (Plain) (seasoned with salt and pepper, for dredging)
- 1/4 c diced pancetta (cooked)
- 3 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 oz sliced artichoke hearts
- 1 t diced dill pickles (or capers, or brined green peppercorns, or a combination of salt and lemon juice)
- 125 g pasta (cooked, linguine or similar)
- Lemon Butter Sauce:
- 2 t lemon juice
- 2 T chicken stock (or white wine)
- 2 T cream (whipping)
- 113 g butter (unsalted)
- ground black pepper
- chopped parsley (for garnish)
Heat a small amount of oil and butter in a large skillet. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and saute in pan, turning once, until brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan. Add remaining ingredients, up to and including the dill pickles, to the pan. Heat until mushrooms soften and are cooked. Add chicken back to pan to reheat and make Lemon Butter sauce.
Heat the lemon juice and stock in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce by one-third. Add cream and simmer until mixture thickens, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Slowly add butter, about 2 tablespoons (28g) at a time, until completely incorporated, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Add half of butter sauce to the cooked and drained pasta in its pot and toss. To serve, halve the pasta and its sauce between the two plates. Place chicken mixture over pasta. Add more sauce on top of each piece. Garnish with parsley.
SJ Note 9 July 2010: The first part is most excellent. The sauce tasted wretched, so this time we just melted some butter to use as the sauce instead. Next time we'll try the lemon butter sauce again with some notes: (1) start with half the lemon juice, and add more at the end if desired; (2) ensure the cream and stock are absolutely fresh; (3) definitely taste before adding to the pasta. I don't think the cream or the stock had gone off before we put them in this, but next time I just want to be sure there's no question. I'll make further notes when we have this again.