- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 lb sausage (spicy pork)
- 3/4 c diced onion
- 1/2 T minced garlic
- 4 c chicken stock
- 2 diced potatoes
- 3 T Corn Starch / Corn Flour
- 3 T cold water (to make slurry)
- hot water (if needed to fix consistency of soup)
- 1/3 c whipping cream
- shredded parmesan cheese (for serving)
1. In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat the oil. Then add and cook the sausage into crumbles until no longer pink. Add onions and garlic and saute until onion is translucent. Season if desired.
2. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Toss in potatoes and cook on medium for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
4. Fix the consistency to your desired level. If it is too thin: in a small bowl mix the cornstarch with the cold water and stir. Pour into the main pot a bit at a time; stir each addition well to incorporate; wait a few minutes to see if you want it thicker. If it is too thick: add hot water until thinned down.
5. Once the consistency is to your liking, add heavy cream and heat through.
6. Serve immediately with shredded parmesan, a crusty bread, and white wine (if you're so inclined).