Nilla Banana Pudding
- 1/2 c Sugar (Granulated) (110g; 3/4 cup(165g) in all)
- 1/3 c Flour (Plain) (41g)
- 1/8 t Salt (Table)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 c milk (480mL)
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 33 sliced Nilla wafers (plus 12 more later)
- 5 sliced bananas
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 c Sugar (Granulated) (55g)
- 12 Nilla wafers (for garnish)
1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and salt in the top of a double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water for 10-12 minutes, until thickened; stir constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
2. Spread a small amount of custard ont bottom of 1.5qt baking dish. Cover with layers of 1/3 each of the 33 wafers, bananas, and remaining custard. Repeat layers twice.
3. Beat egg whites on high speed of mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard, sealing well to edge of dish.
4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Top with reserved wafers just before serving.
SJ Note: The source didn't indicate what temperature to bake at, so I've just guessed for the 350F.