Coleslaw 6 (Buttermilk)
- 1 lb shredded cabbage (red or green)
- 1 t salt
- 1 carrot (medium, peeled and shredded)
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 2 T mayonnaise
- 2 T sour cream
- 2 T minced shallot
- 2 T minced parsley (fresh)
- 1/2 t cider vinegar
- 1/2 t sugar
- 1/4 t Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
1. Toss the shredded cabbage and 1 tsp salt in a colander or large mesh strainer set over a medium bowl. Let stand until the cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
2. Rinse the cabbage under cold running water (or in a large bowl of ice water if serving immediately). Press, but do not squeeze, to drain; pat dry with paper towels. Place the wilted cabbage and the carrot in the bowl.
3. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour the buttermilk dressing over the wilted cabbage and carrot, and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The coleslaw can be refrigerated for up to 3 days).
SJ Note 19 Mar 2012: I added extra salt to this when I made it, thinking it needed more, then it was too salty. I left it in the fridge and tried it again after a day or two, and then it was fine. The dressing amount was just right for the cabbage amount, for my tastes. The finished product was great, this is a keeper. Next time I'll just add anything to one serving at a time so I don't screw up the whole dish; I'll also make less, as this has made at least 8 servings for me. A week later, it's still doing fine in the fridge (in an airtight container), but I'll probably end up throwing some out anyways; I took them at their word that this made only 4 servings.