Indonesian Style Chicken Salad
- 2 c poached, shredded chicken (about 1 boob)
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, separate white part from green
- 2 T slivered fresh mint leaves
- 2 T cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped (seeded if desired)
- 1 c mung bean sprouts or sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 romaine lettuce heart, leaves separated, washed and dried
- 2 T chopped roasted peanuts
- For the dressing:
- 2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 t ginger, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 T Southeast Asian fish sauce
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 T crunchy or smooth natural peanut butter (more to taste)
- 3 T buttermilk
1. Place the chicken in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Add the white part of the scallions, the mint, cilantro, red pepper, minced chile pepper and sprouts. Toss together.
2. Combine the lime juice, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and cayenne. Stir together. Add the peanut butter, and combine well. Whisk in the buttermilk. Taste and adjust seasonings.
3. Line a platter with the lettuce leaves. Toss the chicken mixture with the dressing, and arrange over the lettuce. Sprinkle the peanuts and the scallion greens over the top, and serve.