Taco Bell Chalupas
- 227 g ground beef (1/2 pound)
- 15 g flour (2T)
- 3/4 t chili powder
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 T onion powder (or flakes)
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Indian Fry Bread:
- 157 g Flour (Plain) (1&1/4 cups)
- 1/2 T baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 T shortening (7g)
- 1/2 c milk
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- To serve:
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded lettuce
- 1/4 c shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack)
- diced tomatoes
- hot sauce (optional)
- salsa (optional)
1. Prep all ingredients first, including toppings.
To Make filling:
2. Combine ground beef, flour, chili powder, paprika, salt, onion, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well.
3. In a skillet, cook beef mixture until browned. Stir often while cooking so no large chunks form; it should be more like a paste. Remove from heat and keep warm.
To make Indian Fry Bread:
4. Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening; then add milk.
5. Shape dough into a long cylinder; cut into 4 equal parts. Flour hands, then work the pieces into 6" tortillas, or press with a tortilla press.
6. Fry in oil (365F) until golden brown.
7. Build Chalupas starting with meat, then sour cream, lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes. Top with hot sauce or salsa if desired.
SJ Note: We've had this several times, it's a favorite of ours. Note the flour in the beef mixture will stick to your skillet, so you'll want to have some water handy to start soaking the pan once you're done using it. I like it with baja sauce: http://myst.starforge.co.uk/index.cgi?block=3&op=view&id=139