Whole Grain Soda Bread (Slow Cooker)
- 2 c flour - whole wheat
- 2 t caraway seeds
- 2 t sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 c buttermilk (or soured milk)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 c water
1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix liquid ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add liquid ingredients. Stir just until blended. Scrape batter into greased baking pan.
3. Place pan inside slow cooker. Add boiling water into the slow cooker until the water comes approximately one inch up the side of the baking pan.
4. Cook on high 2 – 3 hours. Bread is done when the top springs back when lightly pressed.
Notes from source: You will need a large (5 quart or higher) slow cooker for this recipe. You will also need a loaf pan or 6 cup souffle pan or baking dish. I used a 1.5 quart round casserole dish.